Creamy, refreshing and deliciously healthy, this blueberry banana smoothie makes the perfect breakfast or mid-day snack.
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I used Stonyfield Grass Fed Whole Milk Plain Yogurt)
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds or flax meal
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cardamom (optional, and just use a pinch--a little goes a long way)
- 1 cup ice (or less if you don’t want an icy cold smoothie)
Prep: Freeze blueberries and bananas for at least 1-2 hours, or overnight. I like to slice the banana into 1-inch chunks before I freeze for easier blending.
Blend: Add all ingredients except ice to high speed blender and blend for about a minute, slowly increasing speed to high (see notes).
Ice: Add ice and blend for another 30 seconds.
Enjoy: Pour into two medium glasses and enjoy immediately.
A high speed blender such as a Vitamix works best for this recipe to create a smooth texture, but a regular blender will still do the job just fine.
Keywords: blueberry smoothies, breakfast smoothies