Learn how to make calzones from scratch! This super easy calzone recipe requires only a few ingredients and just 15 minutes of baking time.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded pizza blend cheese, or shredded mozzarella
Optional fillings (if desired):
- sliced pepperoni or chicken
- sliced mushrooms, onions, green pepper or spinach
- diced pineapple
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Coat a cutting board or large plate with a generous dusting of flour.
- Form: Place the dough on the floured surface, turning once of twice to coat, and divide the dough into four even sections. Using your hands or a rolling pin, press or roll each of the dough sections into a flat, circular shape no more than one centimeter thick.
- Fill: For each calzone, place a quarter of the sauce off to one side but away from the edges, and top with a quarter of the cheese plus any additional toppings if desired.
- Seal: Fold each unfilled half of each calzone over the filled half and crimp the edges of the dough closed using the back of a fork.
- Bake: Place all of the calzones onto the lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the tops just start to turn golden brown.
- Enjoy: Let cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet, serve and enjoy! Leftover calzones stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Keywords: calzone recipes, easy Italian recipes