These fresh and tangy chicken burrito bowls pop with notes of citrus and honey alongside tomatoes, corn, black beans and avocado.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 ear corn
- 1/2 head Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese, or more to garnish
- 1/4 cup sour cream, or more to garnish
- Cook the rice: Cook the rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- Prep the toppings: Meanwhile, husk the corn and use a chef's knife to shred the lettuce, chop the cilantro, tomato and avocado, and slice the corn to remove the kernels. Juice the lime and rinse the black beans. Set everything aside, separated on a large plate or in food prep bowls.
- Cook the chicken: Warm half the oil in a large skillet on the stove over medium heat. While the oil warms, chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces, place in a medium mixing bowl and sprinkle the chicken with half of the chili powder and a little salt to taste, mixing with your hands to coat the chicken with the spices. Add the chicken to the skillet and sauté for 6-8 minutes until cooked through, using a wooden fork or heat-safe spatula to turn the pieces often. Drain off any liquid after cooking and set the chicken aside.
- Make the sauce: In a measuring cup, use a fork to combine the rest of the oil and chili powder, the garlic powder, honey, orange juice and squeezed lime juice.
- Assemble: Divide the rice, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, avocado and chicken among serving bowls and drizzle the sauce over everything.
- Garnish: Top with chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and sour cream, or any combination of your favorites, and season with salt to taste. Enjoy!
Keywords: healthy burrito bowls, meal prep lunch