This delightfully creamy carrot soup features potatoes, fresh-squeezed lime and a touch of cumin. Healthy, fresh and beyond delicious.
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 large Yukon gold potato
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream, or to taste (optional)
- fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Prep: Chop the carrots, potato and onion, and mince the garlic.
- Sauté: Heat the ghee, butter or oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once it shimmers, add the onion to the pot and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, and then add the carrots and potatoes and cook for five minutes more.
- Simmer: Slowly pour in the vegetable stock and add the cumin. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook covered for 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce the vegetables with a fork.
- Blend: Scoop out half of the veggies and liquid into a high speed or regular blender and purée on high for a minute or two (see notes). Pour the puréed soup into a large bowl and repeat with the other half of the soup.
- Season: Squeeze the fresh lime over the soup and stir to incorporate. Add the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve: Divide the soup evenly among bowls, place a dollop or sour cream in each or swirl it in if you'd like, and top with fresh chives if desired. Enjoy!
A high speed blender such as a Vitamix is recommended for this soup to achieve a really velvety texture, but you can also use a regular blender with good results by puréeing on high for a minute or so longer.
Keywords: healthy soups, creamy soups