This healthy and wholesome gluten free apple crisp is both easy and delicious! Sweetened only with coconut sugar and a touch of maple syrup, this is a wonderful dessert for the whole family.
I love making gluten free apple crisp, largely because it's SO good and so easy! Sometimes I'll play with the ingredients a little and mix up the apple variety, but any way you slice it, it's really hard to go wrong in this recipe.
Today, I was in the mood for some sweet (but not too sweet) apples so I chose Gala apples for this recipe. I also love using Braeburn and Honeycrisp apples, and Granny Smiths are my fave if I feel like adding a little extra tartness. Even better, you can mix and match apple varieties in the same apple crisp for a delectable mix of texture and flavor.
I opted for the combo of almond flour, old fashioned oats and finely chopped walnuts for this recipe. It's all held together with butter and a little maple syrup--but it's just as delicious with coconut oil if you'd like to make it vegan. I love it both ways!
Also, a little coconut sugar in the crisp adds subtle sweetness and offers a lower glycemic option over regular sugar. And a touch of fresh lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla make the apples sing.
Can you tell I'm a little gaga over this recipe?
With simple ingredients and minimal prep time, this dessert is out of the oven in no time.
Just peel and chop the apples and mix with the cinnamon, lemon juice, maple syrup and vanilla in a mixing bowl. In a second bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together for the crisp and assemble everything in a greased baking dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees F, cool and enjoy! Oh, and don't forget the vanilla ice cream.
Bonus tip: If you have any leftovers and some plain or vanilla yogurt on hand, this apple crisp makes a seriously delicious gluten free apple crisp yogurt. Just alternate layers of apple crisp and yogurt in a small bowl or glass dish. Bonus points if you've made your own yogurt. 😉 This is one of my favorite decadent-but-still-healthy breakfasts!
You might also like:
- The Best Gluten Free Banana Bread
- Dessert Crepes with Berries and Cream
- Soft and Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gluten Free Apple Crisp
For the apples:
- 2 pounds apples about 5 medium apples, any variety (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crisp:
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats (see notes)
- ½ cup almond flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil for vegan/dairy-free
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Prep: Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Finely chop the walnuts if they aren't already. Butter a glass baking dish and set aside (I used a 9 inch round pie dish.) Peel and chop the apples, and place in a large bowl.
- Mix the apples: Add the cinnamon, lemon juice, maple syrup and vanilla to the apples and mix well to coat evenly.
- Mix the crisp: In a separate medium bowl, add the coconut sugar, oats, almond flour and walnuts and mix well to incorporate. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or your hands to combine everything into a crumbly mixture.
- Assemble: Pour the apples into an even layer in the greased baking dish and then add the crisp mixture on top using your hands to even it out on top.
- Bake: Bake for 40-45 minutes on a middle rack in the oven and remove once the topping is just browning and turning into a nice crisp.
- Enjoy: Cool for a bit, and enjoy!