Learn how to make mashed potatoes from scratch with this easy, foolproof recipe. Perfect for entertaining or as an everyday simple side dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (Yukon Gold, Russet, or a mix of both)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk, plus more to thin (2% milk also works fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional, but recommended)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Prep: Peel the potatoes and chop into 1-inch thick pieces (if you are using organic Yukon Gold potatoes feel free to leave the skins on; equally delicious!) Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water until the water is just above the tops of the potatoes.
- Cook: Place the pot on the stove over high heat until the water boils, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender; drain potatoes. Separately, place butter and milk in a small saucepan over low heat until butter melts.
- Mix: Sprinkle garlic powder (if using), salt and pepper over potatoes. Using a hand mixer or potato masher, slowly pour milk mixture over potatoes and blend or mash until desired consistency is reached; add a bit of extra milk if you prefer a softer consistency.
- Enjoy: Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, and garnish with parsley if desired; serve immediately.
Keywords: best mashed potatoes, creamy mashed potatoes