Craving something healthy but comforting for lunch? These delicious (and easy!) chicken burritos with black beans and all the toppings should definitely do the trick. 😉
Well, I couldn't help myself. I made some citrus chicken burrito bowls the other day and now I have chicken burritos on the brain. Please, someone stop me!
This burrito recipe is also a little easier and less hands-on than the citrus bowls; not as much chopping and prepping, but still every bit as delicious.
The only veggies you'll need to prep for this recipe are some chopped red onion and fresh cilantro. Tip: you can buy fresh salsa and pre-shredded cheese to save on prep time.
Here is the full list of ingredients I used:
- red onion
- white rice
- low-sodium chicken broth
- sea salt
- olive oil
- chicken breasts (chicken thighs work too!)
- black beans
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- flour tortillas
- shredded Mexican blend cheese (or shredded cheddar)
- sour cream
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
First, dice some red onion, chop a little cilantro and cube the chicken into small, bite-size pieces. Set everything aside in separate dishes.
Then, place the rice, some chicken broth and a bit of salt in a medium pot and heat uncovered on high until the broth starts to boil. Stir once, cover the pot and then turn the heat down to low to let the rice simmer for 15 minutes. Move the covered pot onto a cool burner and let it sit for 10 more minutes.
Meanwhile while the rice is cooking, heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the chicken once the oil starts to shimmer. Sauté for 6-8 minutes, turning often, until the chicken is cooked through. Drain off any liquid and return the pan to the stove. Move the chicken to one side of the pan, add the rest of the oil and sauté the onions for a couple minutes until they're translucent.
Next, add the remaining broth, beans and spices and give everything a good mix with the chicken. Cook for about five minutes or until the broth starts to get absorbed.
Finally, mix in the rice and cook for a couple minutes until everything is heated through.
How to assemble burritos
First, warm the oven to 200°F. Lay a tortilla on a square sheet of aluminum foil and add a large spoonful of the filling mixture closer to one side of the burrito (but not too close to the edge). Top with some shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream and cilantro. Start by rolling the edge nearest to the filling up first, then roll the two sides closed, and continue to roll up the original edge into a burrito.
Then, place the burrito on one end of the foil, roll up and crimp the sides closed. Repeat with the remaining burritos and then place all in a large oven-safe pan and warm in the oven for 10 minutes.
Remove the burritos from the oven, plate with extra salsa and some sour cream if desired, and serve immediately!
These burritos are extremely flexible! Feel free to make any of the substitutions below, or experiment with your own.
- White rice - substitute brown rice, making sure to increase the cooking time per package instructions
- Chicken - substitute steak, pork or fish
- Black beans - substitute pinto beans, re-fried beans or no beans at all!
- Vegetarian/Vegan - use vegetable broth instead of chicken, use tofu, tempeh or grilled veggies instead of chicken, and use plant-based cheese and sour cream to make vegan
- Gluten free - use corn, almond flour or other gluten free tortillas, or make burrito bowls instead
- Spicy - add extra chili powder and cumin, or use spicy salsa
- Kid friendly - leave out the beans or cilantro if your kiddos aren't ready for those, and make sure to use mild salsa
Here is the equipment I used:
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- medium pot
- large skillet
- aluminum foil
- 3-quart baking pan
Burritos wrapped in foil can be stored in the fridge for 2 days, or stored for up to 2 months in the freezer.
🎉 Top tip
Burrito making can be fun for the whole family! Just get everything prepped and then set out a plate of tortillas and separate bowls with spoons containing the filling mixture and toppings so that everyone can make their own (little ones may need help rolling up the burrito.) Then wrap them in foil, warm in the oven, and serve everyone's creations.
Easy Chicken Burritos
- ¼ small red onion
- ¼ bunch cilantro
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 pound chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1 cup black beans about 7 ½ ounces, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 10-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese or shredded cheddar
- 1 cup salsa plus more to garnish
- 1 cup sour cream to garnish
- Prep: Finely chop the onion and chop the cilantro; set aside. Dice the chicken into small bite-size pieces.
- Make the rice: Place the rice, 3 quarters of chicken broth, and the salt in a medium pot and heat uncovered on high until the broth starts to boil. Stir, cover and turn the heat down to low to let simmer for 15 minutes. Then, still covered, place the pot onto a cool burner and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- Make the chicken and beans: Meanwhile while the rice is cooking, heat half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the chicken once the oil shimmers. Sauté for 6-8 minutes, turning often, until chicken is cooked through. Drain off any liquid and return pan to stove. Move the chicken to one side of the pan, add the rest of the oil and sauté the onions for a couple minutes until translucent. Add the remaining broth, beans and spices and give everything a good mix with the chicken, cooking for about 5 minutes or until the broth starts to get absorbed. Finally, mix in the rice and cook for a couple minutes more until everything is heated through.
- Assemble the burritos: Warm the oven to 200°F. Place the first tortilla on a square of aluminum foil and add a large spoonful of the filling mixture to one side of the burrito (but not too close to the edge). Top with some shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream and cilantro. Roll up the edge nearest to the filling first, then roll the two sides closed, and finally continue to roll up the original edge into a burrito. With the burrito at the edge of the foil, roll up and crimp the sides of the foil. Repeat with the remaining burritos and then place all in a large oven-safe pan and warm in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy: Remove the burritos from the oven, serve with more salsa and some sour cream, and enjoy! Leftovers wrapped in foil can be stored in the fridge for 2 days, or stored for up to 2 months in the freezer.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook chicken to a minimum temperature of 165°F (74°C)
- Don't wash raw chicken to avoid spreading germs
- Use separate kitchen tools and utensils for prepping raw meat
- Wash hands in warm soapy water after handling raw meat
- Never leave food unattended on a hot stove
- Refrigerate leftover chicken within 2 hours
See more guidelines at foodsafety.gov.