This quick and easy chili recipe could not be easier to throw together on a busy weeknight. Add a dollop of sour cream to turn this one bowl meal into the perfect cool weather comfort food.
I am definitely filling this meal under dinner recipes that require less than 30 minutes to make but taste like they took a lot more. 🙂
This healthy and easy chili recipe is kid-friendly and loved by all, a great addition to a busy night dinner repertoire.
For this recipe, I've deliberately kept the ingredients super simple and restricted to items commonly on hand anyway. And if you don't have a spice or two other than chili powder (which is the only key spice), don't fret--this simple chili recipe is also super forgiving. 😉
Here's the list:
- olive oil
- grass fed ground beef
- onion, celery and garlic
- pasta sauce, low-sodium if possible
- low-sodium vegetable broth, or water
- dried basil, oregano, chili powder, curry powder and ground cumin
- sour cream, shredded cheese or fresh cilantro (all optional; pick your favorites!)
And one extra-credit, super awesome add-on: raw cashews. So good!!
Easy chili recipe tips
Tip #1: Before you begin, simply chop the onions, garlic and celery and set aside. You could even do this the morning or day before, or even keep these prepped and on hand in the fridge for super simple, impromptu dinner prep.
Tip #2: If you don’t have any fresh garlic on hand, not to worry! You can just use garlic powder and it’ll still be delicious. 🙂 And as mentioned above, don't even worry if you don't have one of the spices involved. Chili powder is key, but the others are flexible.
Okay, to get started you can go ahead and heat half the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once shimmering, add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break it up in the pan and keep sautéing until brown. Add some salt and pepper to taste, and then set the browned meat aside in a bowl.
Add the rest of the oil to the pot and sauté the onions first until translucent. Then add the garlic and sauté for another minute or so, and then the celery for a few more minutes.
After the celery is sautéed a bit, you can add all the spices, pasta sauce, vegetable broth (or water) and browned beef, and bring briefly to a boil. If you'd like, you can throw in a big handful of cashews now too, because they are so worth it. 😉 Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Serve immediately with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese or your own favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Quick and Easy Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 25-ounce jar pasta sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup raw cashews optional, but delicious!
- sour cream optional, to garnish; use plant-based version for dairy-free
- shredded cheese optional, to garnish; use plant-based version for dairy-free
- chopped cilantro optional, to garnish
- Prep: Chop the onions and celery, and mince the garlic; set aside.
- Sauté: Heat half the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to break it up in the pan. Sauté until just brown, add some salt and pepper to taste, and then set the browned meat aside in a bowl. Add the rest of the oil to the pot and sauté the onions until translucent. Then add the garlic and sauté for another minute or so, and then the celery for a few more minutes.
- Simmer: Add the spices, pasta sauce, vegetable broth (or water) and browned beef to the pot, and bring the chili briefly to a boil. If desired, add the cashews now. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!