Half soft serve, half smoothie, this luscious 5-minute strawberry banana smoothie bowl is guaranteed to cool you off when you need a refreshing treat. Plus, it packs a natural protein and probiotic punch with wholesome Greek yogurt, Icelandic skyr or your favorite plant-based yogurt!
Even in the cooler months, sometimes all I can think about is smoothies and icy treats. And fruit...lots and lots of fruit.
Smoothie bowls to the rescue!
I LOVE smoothie bowls in the morning; such a refreshing and healthy way to start the day, and a fun way to mix up the standard smoothie fare.
For this recipe I pulled out some frozen fruit from the freezer: strawberries, pineapple and banana chunks. Then, some vanilla Greek yogurt from the fridge. Five minutes later we had these decadent soft-serve ice cream-like smoothie bowls.
Sweet, luscious, and hydrating. The perfect snack for breakfast or any time of the day.
How to make a smoothie bowl
When I make regular smoothies, I always use my high-speed Vitamix blender.
But for smoothie bowls, I actually pull out my food processor to handle the job so that I can use less liquid (yogurt in this case) and still get a consistently thick and creamy result.
Tip: If you don't have a food processor, a high-speed or regular blender can still work fine--just choose a lower blend speed and use a plunger or spatula as necessary to push everything down towards the blade.
I do use all frozen fruit for this recipe as opposed to fresh fruit to make things super easy. For the frozen banana, the key is to cut a fresh banana into 1-inch pieces first and then freeze it for at least an hour or two--or even easier, the night before.
Once you add everything to your food processor with the standard S-blade in place, just process a minute or two, scrape down the sides and repeat once or twice more until everything is fully blended. Serve, and enjoy!
You might also like:
5-Minute Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ⅓ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt or vanilla skyr; use plant-based yogurt for vegan/dairy-free
Toppings (all are optional):
- sliced strawberries
- sliced bananas
- fresh blueberries
- shredded coconut
- slivered almonds
- chopped walnuts
- chia seeds
- sunflower seeds
- Prep: Chop banana into 1-inch pieces and freeze for at least 1-2 hours if possible (or overnight).
- Process: Add all ingredients to food processor fitted with a standard S blade and process for 2-4 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides down with a plastic spatula as needed (see notes).
- Enjoy: Once everything is incorporated and smooth, scoop out mixture into individual bowls. Add any desired toppings, and enjoy immediately.
Leave a Reply