This simple egg avocado toast recipe is so simple and easy, and takes only minutes to make! If you like eggs and have an avocado on hand, this breakfast combo is highly recommended. 🙂
Well, I couldn't help myself after posting this avocado toast recipe. I just had to post an egg and avocado toast recipe too, because this one is equally awesome!!!
I love straight up avocado toast when I'm craving anything warm and savory (it never disappoints) but if I'm extra hungry or craving protein, this avocado toast with egg recipe hits. the. spot.
Just as with regular avocado toast, the ingredients and method here are equally easy...all we're adding is an egg!
- half a ripe avocado
- sea salt and pepper
- a large egg
- a slice of whole grain or gluten-free bread (or whatever your favorite bread happens to be!)
First off, make sure you're starting with a ripe avocado; if you don't have one that's fully ripe, it's probably best to wait an extra day or two until it is (just trust me on this.)
Have a ripe one? Great. First start by slicing it in half and scooping the flesh out of one half of the avocado into a small mixing bowl.
Pro tip: If you're cooking for two, you can double the recipe and scoop all of the flesh, carefully removing the pit with either a knife or using a spoon to scoop it out. If you're saving the other half of the avocado, save the half with the pit still intact--it'll help prolong it's life and keep it from browning as much in the fridge.
Mash the avocado with a fork and add a little salt and pepper to taste.
Next, heat the butter in a small pan over medium heat and cook your egg any way you'd like it. I like mine over easy and cooked just a little extra so that the yolk doesn't run all over the place on my avocado toast. Some other options are sunny side up or even scrambled!
While the egg cooks, go ahead and toast your bread.
Assemble your avocado toast and egg
Now the fun part, assembling and devouring! 🙂
Use a spoon to scoop and spread the mashed avocado on to your toast, lay the egg on top and season with a little extra salt and pepper. Serve immediately and enjoy!
You might also like:
Avocado Toast with Egg
- ½ large ripe avocado
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil for dairy-free
- 1 large egg
- 1 large slices whole-grain bread or gluten-free bread
- Prep: Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Use the back of a fork to mash the avocado until it's smooth and spreadable. Add a little salt and pepper and mix to incorporate.
- Cook: Heat the butter in a small trying pan over medium-high heat until it bubbles and then crack an egg in and cook to your liking, flipping once if you're making a fried egg or mixing it around the pan for a scrambled egg.
- Toast: While the egg is cooking, toast the bread until crispy and golden.
- Assemble: Using a spoon, spread the avocado evenly on the toast, top with your egg and season with a little more salt and pepper.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately, and enjoy!