If you're looking for an easy, traditional Greek salad dressing recipe that's absolutely delicious and takes just 10 minutes to make, this is the one. 😉
This Greek vinaigrette recipe is so good, I basically look for any excuse to make a full Greek salad just so I can break out this dressing. 😉 It is:
- quick and easy
Besides it's leading role as the best dressing for a Greek salad, this vinaigrette can also be used as a marinade for chicken or fish--and it's awesome for either. If you're looking for other healthy salad dressing recipes, I love these easy apple cider vinaigrette and Asian salad dressing recipes.
The ingredients in Greek salad dressing are traditionally minimal, and should be easy to find. Better yet, this simple recipe is also very flexible if you need to swap or drop something (see substitutions below for suggestions.)
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
Ready to learn how to make Greek salad dressing from scratch? It's so easy!
Simple mince the garlic, juice the lemon, and whisk everything together in a bowl. That's it! Easy peasy. 🙂
As mentioned, this recipe is flexible. No lemon? Not a deal breaker. Different vinegar? Most work great. Also note that this recipe as written is vegan and gluten free.
- Olive oil - feel free to use canola oil
- Red wine vinegar - apple cider vinegar is a great substitute; you can also use white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar or plain white vinegar as well
- Fresh lemon juice - fresh is the best, but you could also substitute bottled, add a little lemon zest or simple leave out
- Dijon mustard - you can safely leave out if you don't have any on hand
- Garlic - feel free to use some garlic powder instead if you don't have fresh garlic
Here's an sweet variation you can use if that's a preference, or if you're cooking for young ages. 😉
- Sweet Greek salad dressing - add some honey! - this is actually one of my favorite salad dressing hacks, and it works great in this recipe (just note that it won't be vegan if you do add honey; use agave syrup for a vegan version)
Here's the equipment I used for this recipe:
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- citrus juicer
- mixing bowl
This Greek vinaigrette can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You may need to let it sit at room temperature for up to 15 minutes after removing it from the fridge to let the olive oil liquefy.
🎉 Top tip
If you plan to store your dressing in the fridge after you make it, save some time by combining everything in a Mason jar with a covered lid. Then, just shake to mix right after you make it, and again just before serving.
Best Homemade Greek Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅛ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine: Place all of the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and whisk well to incorporate.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days.