Protein-packed and bursting with flavor, these Parmesan scrambled eggs with veggies are definitely a breakfast of champions.
I’m going a little gaga over the organic orange cherry tomatoes I found at the farmers market. They are honestly so sweet it's like eating candy. Someone stop me!! 🙂
Seriously though, these are going in everything I cook this week.
I usually have a simple bowl of oatmeal early in the morning but by mid-morning I usually need more PROTEIN. That's when I grab the eggs or sprouted tofu, and as many vegetables as I can find.
Scrambled eggs with vegetables = so many healthy benefits
I find that the days that I get a lot of vegetables in at every meal are
good great days. Extra vitamins and minerals. Phytochemicals. And fiber--specifically prebiotic fiber--to feed the microbiome, which is found in this recipe in the form of onions. Full disclosure: I eat a lot of onions. 🙂
And I haven't even gotten to the cheese. Oh the cheese. There is actually emerging research that Italian hard cooked cheeses such as Parmigiano Reggiano have both prebiotic and probiotic properties, so adding it to this scramble was basically a no-brainer. And it's beyond delicious. (If you're dairy-sensitive though, no worries! The cheese can easily be left out of this recipe and the butter can be replaced with coconut oil for a dairy-free breakfast.)
Bonus points: If you really want to pack a gut-loving punch in this breakfast of champions, add a small scoop of kimchi to your plate. Now you've got even more probiotics from the fermented vegetables in the kimchi, and the prebiotics to feed them. BOOM.
You could also add a few sliced oranges to your plate (my personal fave) for some extra vitamin C and fiber.
Okay, I'm off to eat!
You might also like:
Parmesan Scrambled Eggs with Veggies
- 1 medium onion any kind
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 large bunch fresh basil about 12-14 leaves
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese or shaved; omit for dairy free
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil for dairy-free
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Prep: Chop onions and red pepper, and halve cherry tomatoes. Roll basil leaves together vertically and then make thin slices across the roll so that you end up with basil ribbons. Shred or shave the Parmesan with a cheese grater if necessary. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl.
- Cook: Heat large skillet pan and add butter to coat. Sauté onions for 5 minutes, add red peppers and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add eggs and use the back of a spatula to form thick curds. Toss in basil ribbons, cheese and salt and pepper to taste, and incorporate everything just until cheese melts.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately, and enjoy.
I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!