This easy jicama slaw is classic picnic coleslaw meets refreshing, crunchy jicama with a splash of lime. So good. 🙂 (Bonus: jicama is a super healthy, prebiotic vegetable.)
I'm always dreaming picnics and cookouts, no matter the time of year.
And sometimes, you just need a good coleslaw to go with some fried fish or all-American type fare.
I love coleslaw and all of its crunchy vegetables but I wanted to make it just tiny a bit healthier. And even more refreshing.
Wait, what is a jicama?
This root vegetable is native to Mexico but widely available in most large grocery stores. It resembles a beet shape-wise, but it's light in color, almost white with light brown skin.
What does a jicama taste like? Its consistency is crispy - kind of like the texture and crisp of an apple - but it's flavor is mild but refreshing. It's the perfect add to this summer veggie jicama slaw.
Best of all, it's a prebiotic vegetable, meaning it provides food in the form of specialized fibers for the gut microbiota to eat. This is super important because these little guys (or gals) need food…and specifically awesome, real food from fibrous veggies.
More jicama benefits
And speaking of fiber - this root vegetable boasts A LOT. One medium jicama actually has a whopping 32 grams of dietary fiber. Also, it's super high in vitamin C and has a good amount of healthy potassium to boot, a great electrolyte.
So I set out on a mission to get this root vegetable into this jicama coleslaw recipe, and the results were great. Still tastes like classic coleslaw but with a little extra crisp and crunch. With a twist of lime and some sea salt to top things off, it's perfect.
You might also like:Print
This super simple jicama slaw makes the perfect anytime side dish or healthy picnic add-on. It's coleslaw meets jicama, and it's delicious!
- ½ small head green cabbage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium jicama
- ½ lime
For the dressing:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prep: Slice the cabbage into thin strips and place in a large mixing bowl. Peel and julienne the carrots and jicama and add to the cabbage, mixing all vegetables to combine.
- Make the dressing: Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard in a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper to the dressing to taste, and mix again.
- Combine: Slowly pour all of the dressing over the vegetables and mix to incorporate.
- Season: Squeeze some lime juice over the salad along with a little more sea salt to taste.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately or chill in the fridge first if desired. Enjoy!
This slaw saves well in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: healthy coleslaw, summer side dish