This versatile apple cider vinegar dressing recipe should definitely be in your back pocket. It takes only five minutes to make and needs only three ingredients which are probably already in your pantry. 🙂
I'm pretty sure this homemade apple cider vinaigrette is my favorite easy salad dressing recipe. It goes great over a simple greens salad alongside a quick dinner like this walnut and herb crusted chicken dish or over a quick salad and lentil soup for lunch. I also love it as a dipping sauce for freshly chopped veggies like carrot sticks, radishes, bell peppers, etc.
I also happen to love apple cider vinegar because it's a fermented food! Made from the juice of crushed apples which then goes through a 2-step fermentation process, this vinegar is wholesome and delicious.
The ingredients for this vinaigrette recipe couldn't be any easier: just apple cider vinegar, olive oil and Italian seasoning. If you don't already have them in your pantry, they are definitely recommended staples to have on hand. All three should be readily available at any grocery store.
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
To make this dressing, simply place all of the ingredients in a pint-sized Mason jar, cover the jar tightly and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
If you don't have a Mason jar, no worries! You can use any jar or salad dressing container you have on hand, as long as it can hold at least two cups of liquid and has a tight-fitting lid.
Pro tip: Shake your dressing just before serving and before each use, as the ingredients will separate in between uses.
This apple cider vinegar dressing with olive oil is naturally vegan and gluten free. Feel free to make any of the following substitutions as needed:
- Apple cider vinegar - substitute red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar if your don't have any apple cider vinegar on hand (but use a 1:2 vinegar to oil ratio in this case since these vinegars can be overpowering); you can also substitute fresh lemon juice instead of vinegar, if desired
- Olive oil - avocado oil also works great, or substitute canola oil if you don't have either on hand
- Italian seasoning - if you don't have this exact spice mix on hand, use any of the following herbs in any combination: basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary or marjoram
Want to mix things up a little? Here are two delicious variations on this vinaigrette:
- Creamy apple cider vinaigrette - add a little mayonnaise, and a dash of Dijon mustard if desired
- Honey apple cider vinaigrette - add a tablespoon or more of honey or maple syrup to the dressing to taste (hint: this makes it super kid-friendly!)
The only item you'll need for this recipe is a good jar or container with a tight-fitting lid to shake and store the dressing in. If you don't have a Mason jar, just use any other lidded jar that can hold at least two cups of liquid.
This apple cider vinegar salad dressing can be stored at room temperature for up to a week, or in the fridge for up to at least two weeks.
Note that if you will be refrigerating it, the olive oil will become solid as it cools. To reincorporate the oil, let the dressing sit out at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before using, and then shake well once the oil warms a little.
🎉 Top tip
Don't be afraid to try different variations on this recipe, using fresh herbs instead of dried, or adding a little Dijon mustard or honey. They're all super delicious and you can't go wrong with any of them. 🙂
A 1 to 1 ratio of olive oil to vinegar is a good rule of thumb in an apple cider vinaigrette recipe.
Olive oil pairs particularly well with apple cider vinegar, but avocado oil or canola oil would also work.
Yes; you can add a little honey or maple syrup to apple cider vinegar dressing to taste.
You can season apple cider vinaigrette with garlic, Dijon mustard, oregano, basil, thyme, lemon juice, salt and pepper, or a combination of any of these ingredients.
Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
- Mason jar or other container with lid
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Combine: Place all of the ingredients in a pint-sized Mason jar or other jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Shake: Cover the jar tightly with the lid and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Enjoy: Shake again just before serving, and before each use (see notes).