These delicate almond flour crepes are not only delicious, they are super easy and healthy to boot. Happy breakfast. 🙂
Why almond flour crepes?
Okay—I’ll admit it. I adore homemade crepes. Warm, freshly made crepes with just a touch of syrup and a side of berries. Life doesn’t get much better than this, right? 😉
But being pretty health minded and wanting to find a slightly more nutritious alternative to traditional crepes, I set out to create just that recipe.
I also wanted to have a great everyday crepe recipe that is not just gluten free but also dairy free and grain free so that it could be shared with others who are on special diets.
And in case you're wondering, these can definitely be prepared as full-sized crepes if you prefer; I just like to mix things up and have mini crepes once in a while. 😉
The handful of ingredients for these crepes are super simple, and if you've ever done any paleo baking or baking with almond flour, you'll likely have most or all of them on hand. If not, nearly all grocery stores have these staples these days.
- Almond milk
- Almond flour
- Arrowroot starch
- Freshly ground flax seeds or flaxseed meal
- Sea salt
- Coconut oil (or butter if you're okay with dairy)
- Fresh strawberries
As for my favorite ingredient in this list (besides the strawberries), it is hands down the ground flax seeds. Whenever there's a chance to add extra fiber to a dish in the form or fruits or seeds, I take it! Hence, the fresh sliced strawberries and added flax seeds. Both delicious, and both perfect for this almond flour crepe recipe.
Pro tip: You can buy pre-ground flaxseed meal rather than whole seeds to save time--just make sure to store the bag in the refrigerator as that'll keep the ground seeds from going rancid as quickly. If you do opt to grind whole flax seeds yourself, I like to use a regular old coffee grinder to grind small batches and then store them in glass containers in the refrigerator for use in recipes, salads, oatmeal, etc.
How to cook almond flour crepes
To prepare, start by washing and slicing strawberries first. Then, whisk the eggs and almond milk together in a mixing bowl and add the almond flour, arrowroot starch, ground flax seeds and salt, and whisk once more.
Now you can heat a large skillet over medium heat to melt the coconut oil, and then slowly drizzle the melted oil into the crepe batter, whisking again as you pour in the oil.
Reheat the pan by placing it back on the warm burner for a minute and then use a large spoon to pour the batter into the pan to make four mini crepes (or more if your skillet is large enough!)
Cook the first side for a minute or two until the wetness of the batter disappears. Flip and cook another minute until light golden brown.
While you cook the remaining crepes, you can keep the ones that are ready warm in a 200-degree F oven or warming plate.
Plate the crepes alongside a large helping of fresh sliced strawberries and serve immediately. Enjoy!
You might also like:
Mini Almond Flour Crepes with Strawberries
- ½ pound fresh strawberries
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup almond milk or water
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground flax seeds or flaxseed meal
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- Prep: Wash and slice the strawberries and set aside. Whisk the eggs and almond milk together in a large bowl, add the almond flour, arrowroot starch, ground flax seeds and salt, and whisk once more to combine.
- Melt the oil: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut oil to the pan until it just melts, and then slowly drizzle the melted oil into the crepe batter, whisking as you pour it in. Reheat the pan by placing it back on the warm burner for a minute.
- Cook the crepes: Use a large spoon to pour the batter into the pan to make four mini crepes. Cook the first side for a minute or two until the wetness of the batter disappears. Flip, and cook another minute until the crepes are light golden brown. Keep the cooked crepes warm in a 200-degree F oven or warming plate.
- Serve: Plate the crepes alongside the fresh sliced strawberries, and enjoy!