Want to take your dessert to the next level? This wonderfully creamy and wholesome Greek yogurt whipped cream is your ticket, sweetened only with a touch of sugar and vanilla.
I originally got the idea for whipped cream yogurt when I was developing this old fashioned apple crisp recipe, and I couldn't have asked for a more delicious result. The Greek yogurt and whipped cream combo has just the right amount of sweetness as well as a slight tanginess from the yogurt; the perfect match for a sweet dessert like apple crisp, pumpkin pie and more.
Want to turn your next fruit salad into dessert that'll disappear before you can even say whipped yogurt? Try adding it to this fresh berry salad. 🙂
Only four ingredients are required for this recipe. Look for whole milk or low fat plain Greek yogurt if you can; both work better than fat free.
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
To get started, chill a mixing bowl and the whisk attachments from a hand or stand mixer in the freezer for about 5 minutes, then remove them.
Reattach your whisks and add all of the ingredients to the chilled bowl, turn on the mixer and gradually increase the speed for about 2-3 minutes or until gentle peaks form.
Once you're happy with the consistency of your whipped yogurt, do a taste test and blend in a little extra sugar if necessary. Serve immediately, or store in the fridge for later.
This whipped Greek yogurt recipe is vegetarian and gluten free as written. Feel free to make the following substitutions as needed.
- Greek yogurt - whole milk plain Greek yogurt works best, but low fat will work as well; if you don't have Greek yogurt you could also use regular plain yogurt but make sure to drain off any of the liquid whey from the top of the yogurt first
- Granulated sugar - substitute coconut sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup or honey
- Vanilla extract - you can also use vanilla bean powder; or, skip the vanilla and start with vanilla Greek yogurt instead (use a little less sugar at first as well)
Not a big heavy cream fan or don't have any on hand? You can use the following variation:
- Whipped yogurt without cream - replace the heavy cream with the same amount of additional Greek yogurt and add an extra minute or two of mixing time
I used the following equipment for this recipe:
- large mixing bowl
- silicone spatula
- hand mixer or stand mixer
Whipped Greek yogurt will stay fresh in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It does not stand up well to freezing.
🎉 Top tip
Since all mixers are different, make sure to blend everything just until you see soft peaks form that hold their shape (don't over-mix.) And if you store any leftovers for more than a couple days, simply use a regular whisk to reincorporate the ingredients if they separate.
Whipped yogurt is typically a combination of Greek yogurt and heavy whipping cream, along with a little sugar and vanilla extract all whipped together with an electric mixer.
Yes; you can still make whipped yogurt without using additional heavy cream, but the end result won't hold its shape as well as a heavy cream and yogurt combination will. Just make sure you start with whole milk or low fat Greek yogurt for best results.
Whipped Greek yogurt tastes great on apple desserts, pumpkin pie or any other sweet dishes. It's also a great topping for fresh fruit salads in the warmer months.
Whipped Greek yogurt will stay fresh in a airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. If the yogurt separates after a couple days, simply use a whisk to reincorporate everything before serving.
Whipped Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt whole milk or low fat
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prep: Chill your mixing bowl and the whisk attachments from your mixer in the freezer for about 5 minutes, then remove them.
- Mix: Reattach your whisks and add all of the ingredients to the bowl, gradually increasing the speed on your mixer for about 2-3 minutes or until gentle peaks form.
- Enjoy: Do a taste test and blend in a little extra sugar if necessary. Serve immediately, or store in the fridge for later.