Looking for some scrambled eggs breakfast ideas? These dreamy, creamy scrambled eggs come together in a flash thanks to a little cream cheese added to the mix. (And you won't believe how good they are!)
I've been wanting to publish this easy but oh so fancy scrambled eggs recipe ever since I made these scrambled eggs with smoked salmon (which also use cream cheese; so good!) This basic recipe is particularly perfect though on a day when you just want a quick egg breakfast but with a little extra fluffy magic. 😉
Need some more breakfast inspiration? Try these easy French toast or these decadent banana Nutella crepes. I also love making these simple scrambled eggs with veggies when I have extra veggies and cherry tomatoes on hand.
Only a few ingredients are required for this recipe, and feel free to leave out the fresh chives or use dried chives instead; it's just a garnish.
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
First, crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl, add a little water and whisk everything together well. Then, add the cream cheese use the whisk to break up the cheese into smaller (but still visible) pieces.
Next, heat a large skillet over medium heat, add some butter and let it sizzle a little (but don't let it brown). Pour in the eggs and cream cheese mixture and use the back of a stainless steel or silicone spatula to scrape and turn over the egg mixture several times until it's just cooked through.
And that's it! You can serve your eggs immediately with a little salt and pepper, and garnish them with some fresh chives if desired.
As written, this recipe is vegetarian and gluten free. Feel free to make any of the following substitutions as necessary.
- Cream cheese - you can use any variety of regular cream cheese or cream cheese spread (I'm a huge fan of Good Culture Cream Cheese); for dairy free, use a plant-based cream cheese and also use a substitute for the butter (see below)
- Butter - substitute vegan butter or olive oil if desired
- Fresh chives - use dried chives instead, another herb like dill or basil, or just leave out
Here are some great variations on this recipe:
- Cream cheese omelet - use the same amount of eggs and cream cheese but cook as an omelet instead using your favorite fillings
- Scrambled eggs with cottage cheese - substitute cottage cheese for cream cheese for some extra protein
- Scrambled eggs with sour cream - use a little sour cream instead of cream cheese, to taste
- Scrambled eggs with heavy cream - add half the amount of heavy cream instead of cream cheese and whisk well; this will also make your eggs nice and fluffy
- Scrambled eggs with goat cheese - substitute goat cheese for cream cheese (this is a stronger flavor so adjust amount accordingly; for goat cheese fans, this variation is delicious!)
I used the following equipment to make this recipe:
- medium mixing bowl
- large skillet
This recipe is best when eaten immediately, but will stay fresh for up to 2 days in an airtight container in the fridge. They do not stand up well to freezing.
🎉 Top tip
Don't walk away from your skillet while your eggs are cooking! It should only take a few minutes until they are cooked through, and they'll be super fluffy and moist when you serve them immediately.
You'll want to use about a tablespoon of cream cheese per every two eggs to make creamy scrambled eggs, as well as a half a tablespoon of water.
No; your cream cheese does not need to be at room temperature although letting it soften a bit on the counter will help when you use a whisk to break it up in the egg mixture.
You can use regular cream cheese or cream cheese spread, or a low fat or plant based version if desired. You can also substitute cottage cheese for a little extra protein.
Fresh chives, dill or basil all work well sprinkled over cream cheese scrambled eggs, as do the the dried versions of these herbs. You can also just season your eggs with a little salt and pepper.
Scrambled Eggs with Cream Cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Whisk: Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl and add the water and whisk well. Add the cream cheese use the whisk to break up the cheese into smaller (but still visible) pieces.
- Cook: Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter starts to sizzle, pour in the eggs and use the back of a stainless steel or silicone spatula to turn over the egg mixture several times just until the eggs are cooked through.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately, add a little salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh chives if desired.