This smoked salmon and scrambled eggs recipe is pure comfort food. Featuring cream cheese, capers, fresh cherry tomatoes and topped off with everything bagel seasoning, these scrambled eggs aim to please.
My inspiration for this recipe was definitely these lox and bagels which I couldn't seem to stop eating. And now I can't get enough of this smoked salmon and eggs recipe! 😉 But seriously: if you're a fan of savory breakfasts and you love smoked salmon, you have to try these scrambled eggs. They're just so, so good.
The key ingredients here are eggs and smoked salmon, but don't fret if you don't have all of the others on hand. This recipe is super flexible.
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
Let's start with a few prep items, and then we'll cook up some scrambled eggs!
I like to get the red onion diced first, and then wash and quarter the cherry tomatoes and slice up the smoked salmon.
Then, I crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl, add a little water and whisk well. Next I'll add the cream cheese and use the whisk to break up the cheese into smaller (but still visible) pieces.
Okay, now you'll want to heat a skillet over medium heat and add a little butter until is starts to sizzle. (Be careful not to let the butter brown.) Then add the diced onions and sauté them for a minute or so, just until they're translucent but before they start to brown.
Now, pour in the eggs and use the back of a stainless steel or silicone spatula to turn over the egg mixture several times until the eggs are starting to form nice curds but are not fully cooked yet.
And finally, add the smoked salmon, tomatoes and capers, and use your spatula to gently incorporate them into the eggs.
Pro tip: If you prefer to keep your smoked salmon uncooked, don't add to the eggs but instead garnish your dish with the salmon after serving.
Serve immediately and sprinkle everything with some everything bagel seasoning if you'd like (it's so good.) 🙂
Feel free to make any of the follow substitutions below if you need to:
- Cream cheese - leave out if you want to make this dish dairy free (also be sure to substitute olive oil for the butter for dairy free)
- Red onion - use yellow or white onion instead
- Cherry tomatoes - you can use larger tomatoes if you'd like, but I do recommend removing the seeds of you do, to cut down on excess liquid in the eggs
- Capers - leave out if you don't have on hand
- Butter - substitute olive oil
- Everything bagel seasoning - use salt and pepper instead
Here are a couple great variations on this scrambled eggs recipe you can try:
- Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast - prepare the recipe as above and serve the eggs over a slice of your favorite toasted bread
- Smoked salmon scrambled eggs with avocado - slice a ripe avocado just before serving and divide between serving plates next to your scrambled eggs
I used the following equipment to make this recipe:
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- medium mixing bowl
- large skillet
This breakfast recipe is best eaten immediately, but you could prepare the morning of and store leftovers in the fridge to rewarm for a quick lunch.
🎉 Top tip
For smoked salmon purists, you might prefer not to add the salmon to the eggs as they finish cooking and instead simply garnish the dish with salmon (since it will cook through in the pan rather quickly.) But either way is delicious! 🙂
After slicing the smoked salmon into bite-sized strips, you can either add it to the scrambled eggs just before they are finished cooking, or, if you prefer to retain the uncooked texture and flavor of the smoked salmon, you can add it as a garnish just before serving.
Yes, and it's delicious! After you whisk the scrambled eggs, add a scoop of cream cheese to the bowl and use the whisk to break it up into smaller pieces. Then, cook your eggs as normal; the cream cheese will make them extra rich and creamy.
Scrambled eggs are best freshly cooked, but you can prep the rest of the ingredients ahead of time including dicing the onion, quartering the cherry tomatoes and slicing the smoked salmon.
Ingredients that go well with smoked salmon scrambled eggs include onions, capers, tomatoes and avocado, or fresh herbs like dill and chives.
Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 ounces smoked salmon
- ¼ small red onion
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning
- Prep: Finely dice the onion and quarter the cherry tomatoes, and slice the smoked salmon into small bite sized strips.
- Whisk: Crack the eggs into a medium mixing bowl and add the water and whisk well. Add the cream cheese use the whisk to break up the cheese into smaller (but still visible) pieces.
- Cook: Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter starts to sizzle, add the diced onion and sauté for a minute or so being careful not to let it brown. Then, pour in the eggs and use the back of a stainless steel or silicone spatula to turn over the egg mixture several times until the eggs are starting to form curds but are not fully cooked yet. Add the smoked salmon pieces, cherry tomatoes, and capers, and use the spatula to gently incorporate them and cook the eggs for one more minute (see notes).
- Enjoy: Serve immediately and garnish with everything bagel seasoning.