This quick and easy guacamole recipe is THE BEST! Learn how to make guacamole in your own kitchen with this simple and delicious homemade recipe.
I'm pretty sure this guacamole recipe is the most popular snack recipe in our household; it single-handedly takes afternoon snacks from good to next-level amazing. And, you can feel great about the fact that it's super healthy.
I love serving this guacamole alongside tortilla chips or blue corn chips, or chopping up some fresh carrot sticks, cucumber and red pepper slices to accompany it. It also makes a great addition to burritos such as these easy chicken burritos or these citrus chicken burrito bowls. And for a quick breakfast, you can even serve guacamole on toast!
Looking for other tasty dips? You'll love this delicious mango salsa or homemade hummus.
You basically won't need to leave the produce department for this guacamole, and all of these ingredients should be readily available at any grocery store.
- sea salt
- red onion
- jalapeño pepper
- fresh cilantro
- ground cumin
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
First, mince a little garlic and place it in a medium mixing bowl along with a bit of sea salt.
Halve and pit the avocados, and scoop out the flesh into the bowl.
How to cut an avocado
To cut and pit your avocado, use a good quality chef's knife to slice all the way around the avocado lengthwise and split it into two halves.
Then, place the half with the pit in it on a hard surface and give the pit a fairly strong but controlled whack to lodge the blade partway into the pit.
Finally, hold the avocado in one hand as you turn the knife clockwise with the other to loosen and remove the pit.
Caution: Be extremely careful when cutting avocados, especially at first; with practice you'll develop the technique but always use extra caution when handling any sharp knife.
Now that the avocados are all set, juice the lime over them and mash everything together using a fork.
Next, slice a tomato into quarters, scoop out and remove the seeds, and then finely chop the flesh. Mince the onion and jalapeño, and chop the cilantro leaves. Add all of these ingredients to the avocado mixture.
And finally, add a little ground cumin and mix everything together using a large spoon. Take a taste and add a pinch of extra salt, if desired.
Here are some helpful substitutions if you don't have all of the ingredients on hand:
- Fresh garlic - use garlic powder
- Lime - lemon works too!
- Tomato - feel free to leave out if you don't have any on hand
- Red onion - use white, yellow or green onions/scallions
- Jalapeño - use a different kind of hot pepper, or add some chili pepper flakes
- Ground cumin - you can easily leave this out if you don't have any
Feel free to change the intensity of this guacamole using these guidelines:
- Hot - use extra jalapeño, or leave the seeds in for extra hot
- Mild/kid-friendly - as written, this guacamole recipe is mild-medium and fine for older kids; for littler ones, just leave out the jalapeño and use a little less garlic
Here is the equipment you'll need to make guacamole:
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- medium mixing bowl
Guacamole will stay fresh for 2-3 days in the fridge; it does not stand up well to freezing.
🎉 Top tip
Make sure to use ripe avocados! They are the key to making perfect guacamole. If you aren't able to easily make a little indentation with your finger on the outside of the avocados, give them another day or two to ripen at room temperature--it'll be worth the wait. 😉
Best Simple Guacamole
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 2 ripe avocados halved and pitted
- 1 lime
- 1 small tomato or 2 small Roma tomatoes
- ⅛ small red onion about 2 tablespoons minced
- ½ small jalapeño pepper
- 4-5 sprig cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Mash: Mince the garlic and place in a medium mixing bowl along with the salt. Halve and pit the avocados, and scoop the flesh into the bowl. Juice the lime over the avocados and mash everything together using a fork.
- Chop: Next, slice the tomato into quarters, scoop out and remove the seeds, and then finely chop the flesh. Mince the onion and jalapeño, and chop the cilantro leaves. Add everything to the avocado mixture.
- Mix: Add the cumin and mix everything together using a large spoon. Take a taste and add a pinch of extra salt, if desired.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply