This healthy mango lassi recipe is such a refreshing anytime treat with yogurt, honey and a touch of cardamom. Learn how to make a mango lassi with no processed sugar!
It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I experienced a mango lassi for the first time, but when I did I was so hooked. This popular Indian yogurt-based drink is creamy, delicate and light. It's sooo refreshing with a sweet mango base and hints of cardamom.
While it's often made with white sugar, I wanted to make things a little healthier by using only honey instead. And it's every bit as delicious, I promise!
Whether you're preparing this mango lassi recipe for yourself or your family, I promise that you can feel great about its ingredients!
- plain low-fat yogurt
- frozen chopped mango
- water + ice
- a pinch of cardamom (this is optional; don't worry if you don't have any on hand!)
The method to making a great mango lassi is super easy; if you've ever made a homemade smoothie, this recipe will seem like a breeze.
First, make sure you're starting with frozen mango chunks. (See notes above for buying already-frozen mango vs. chopping and freezing your own.) I find that even with ice, it's nice to have a frozen mango base to create a really icy, refreshing texture for this lassi.
Place all of the ingredients into a blender, cover it tightly, and start working your way up to high speed for about a minute, or until the texture is nice and smooth.
Pro tip: A high-speed blender such as a Vitamix is ideal for this lassi recipe, but regular blenders will work just fine too.
Use a spoon to test the flavor; if you'd like a little extra sweetness, go ahead and add a little more honey, and then blend again for a few more seconds.
Divide the mixture evenly between glasses and top each mango lassi with an extra sprinkle of cardamom if desired.
Serve immediately, and enjoy! 🙂
As written, this lassi recipe is vegetarian and gluten free. You can make any of the following substitutions to adjust for dietary needs or preferences.
- Low-fat plain yogurt - feel free to substitute any kind of milk or kefir for the yogurt, or use whole-milk yogurt if you'd prefer (I wouldn't recommend Greek yogurt though since it'll make the lassi too thick)
- Honey - substitute an equal amount of agave syrup, granulated white sugar, or coconut sugar
- Vegan - substitute your favorite plant-based yogurt or milk, and use any of the honey substitutions above
This mango lassi is a classic drink as written, but here are some additional variations you can try to make it truly yours. 🙂
- Spiced mango lassi - in addition to cardamom, add a pinch of spice like cinnamon, nutmeg, or turmeric to your mango lassi to take the flavor to the next level
- Mango lassi smoothie - add a frozen banana for a thicker, smoothie-like texture
- Tropical mango lassi - mix in some other tropical fruits like pineapple, banana, or passion fruit for a tropical twist
- Mango lassi popsicles - pour the mango lassi mixture into popsicle molds and freeze to create a refreshing dessert
- Green mango lassi - add a handful of spinach or kale to your mango lassi for a nutrient boost, and add a few pineapple chunks to mask any bitterness from the greens
- Extra protein - add a scoop of your favorite protein powder (plain or vanilla) for a post-workout refreshment
- Extra fiber - blend in some chia seeds or flaxseed meal for added fiber
I used the following equipment for this lassi recipe:
- professional-grade blender (a standard blender works fine too!)
- silicone spatula (to scrape down the sides)
These mango lassis are best consumed immediately, but can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
🎉 Top tip
Frozen chopped mango is easy to find in nearly all large grocery stores and it makes prep time minimal. But if you find a sale on fresh mangoes, you can let them ripen on the counter and prepare your own. Just peel, chop and store chopped chunks in freezer bags to have on hand for an anytime lassi or smoothie.
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups frozen mango
- ½ cup ice
- 1 tablespoon honey or to taste
- pinch cardamom optional
- Blend: Place all ingredients in a high-speed or regular blender and slowly increase the speed to high as you blend until smooth. Add additional honey to sweeten more, if desired, and blend a few more seconds to incorporate.
- Enjoy: Pour equal amounts into glasses, top with a sprinkle of extra cardamom if using, and serve immediately. Enjoy!