This recipe for chocolate chip muffins is so moist, delicious and rich with chocolate it's irresistible! Plus, it's incredibly easy and only takes 30 minutes from start to finish--and even less time for mini chocolate chip muffins. 🙂
Yes, I'm a chocoholic. And I'm assuming that if you found your way to this recipe, it's likely you might be too. 😉 If that's the case, fear not--this chocolate chip muffin recipe is loaded with chocolate chips!
I also love baking yummy things with sour cream like this apple cake because it gives them such a lovely moist consistency. So, I added some to this muffin recipe and the result was SO good...such a perfect combo with the chocolate.
(P.S. If you came here looking for cookies you can also try these chocolate chip cookies or gluten-free chocolate chip cookies! Or for more muffins, definitely try these banana chocolate chip muffins.)
This muffin recipe uses only wholesome, easy to find ingredients; many of which you might already have on hand already.
- all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour; I tested with Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour)
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sea salt
- large eggs, at room temperature
- white sugar
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted
- vanilla extract
- semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chips
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
Ready to learn how to make chocolate chip muffins? Okay, here we go!
First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease or line one 12-muffin tin or two 6-muffin tins with muffin liners.
To Make Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
For mini muffins, grease or line a 24-mini muffin tin. You can use either regular chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips for mini muffins--either works just as well. (I actually prefer full size chips but mainly because I'm addicted to chocolate and love the ooey gooey-ness of the larger chips right out of the oven.) 😉 To bake mini muffins, you'll use the same temperature but cook for just 12-14 minutes instead of 20.
For either size muffin, the rest of the steps are the same. Start by mixing the the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a medium mixing bowl and use a whisk to incorporate them together.
Then, in a separate larger bowl, use the whisk to beat the eggs a little, then some sugar, sour cream, butter and vanilla and whisk again.
Using a silicone spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet until they are just incorporated (don't over mix.)
And lastly, fold the chocolate chips into the batter and then divide it evenly into the muffin cups.
Bake your muffins for 19-21 minutes (or 12-14 minutes for mini muffins), or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them in their tins for 5 minutes, and then remove onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Gluten free - use gluten free all-purpose flour; I tested with Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour and it worked perfectly
- Sour cream - substitute plain Greek yogurt
Here is the equipment I used to make this recipe:
- muffin tin or mini muffin tin
- muffin liners
- medium and large mixing bowl
- silicone spatula
These muffins will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer.
🎉 Top tip
You can make both regular and mini muffins from the same batch of batter (12 mini muffins + 6 regular muffins.) Just note that you'll need to bake each tin separately since they have different cooking times. I love baking both sizes when there are both kids and adults involved; mini muffins are are always a hit with kiddos. 🙂
These easy chocolate chip muffins are super moist and delicious with ingredients featuring sour cream, pure vanilla and extra chocolate chips.
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour; I tested with Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted, plus extra for greasing (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chips
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line one 12-muffin tin or two 6-muffin tins (or for mini muffins, a 24-mini muffin tin.)
- Mix the dry ingredients: Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl and use a whisk to incorporate.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a larger bowl, use the whisk to beat the eggs a little, then add the sugar, sour cream, butter and vanilla and whisk again.
- Make the batter: Using a silicone spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just incorporated (don't over mix.) Fold the chocolate chips into the batter and then divide it evenly into the muffin cups.
- Bake: Bake muffins for 19-21 minutes (12-14 minutes for mini muffins), or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool in the tins for 5 minutes, and then remove onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately, or save covered for up to 4 days in the fridge or up to 2 months in the freezer.
To melt the butter or coconut oil, place it in a glass measuring cup or bowl and microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds, watching closely and removing when it just melts. Add a little extra time if needed.
Keywords: easy muffin recipes, muffins with sour cream