Nothing beats a refreshing and delicious strawberry banana smoothie for a healthy on-the-go breakfast or nutritious anytime snack. This is a protein smoothie for the win!
This healthy strawberry banana smoothie recipe is my favorite after-exercise treat beyond any other! It's light and super refreshing with no yogurt and no processed sugars of any kind. And, it has added protein powder to make it a great breakfast or snack option too.
While this one has no yogurt in it, you could also check out a few other favorites that do if you're craving the extra creaminess, like this blueberry banana smoothie, peach smoothie or mango lassi. Or if you're looking for smoothie bowls, this strawberry banana smoothie bowl should do the trick. 🙂
Just a few fruits and some protein powder are all that are required for this smoothie!
Here is the full list of ingredients:
- banana (no need to freeze it)
- frozen strawberries
- whey protein (or other protein powder)
- frozen pineapple or honey (optional; if you'd like a little extra sweetness)
See recipe card below for exact quantities.
Want to know how to make a strawberry banana smoothie? It couldn't be easier! Simply place all of the ingredients into a blender and increase the blender speed to high gradually as you blend for 30 seconds to a minute.
Pro tip: Make sure to add the ingredients into the blender in the order listed; that'll make it easier for your blender to mix everything smoothly without getting jammed from too much frozen fruit or ice on the bottom.
This smoothie recipe is SO versatile. If you don't have everything listed on hand, feel free to make the following substitutions, or just try your own!
- Orange - use orange juice, apple juice or pineapple juice instead of an orange
- Strawberries - blueberries or any kind of frozen berry mix works great
- Protein powder - for a vegan option, use a pea-based protein powder instead of whey (just make sure to watch out for added sugars or other unwanted ingredients)
- Honey - use agave syrup as a vegan sweetener
A blender is the only requirement to make these smoothies. A professional blender such as a Vitamix works best for a silky-smooth texture, but any standard modern blender will also work just fine.
- Professional-grade blender or standard blender
Smoothies should be consumed immediately, or at least the same day if kept cold in the fridge. They do not store well beyond a day though.
🎉 Top tip
Feel free to experiment with some of the substitutions listed above until you create your perfect smoothie! You'll know it when you do. 😉
Strawberry Banana Smoothie with Protein
- ½ cup water
- ½ orange
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 scoop whey protein or other plain or vanilla protein powder
- a few chunks frozen pineapple or a little honey optional; if desired for extra sweetness
- ½ cup ice or more if you want an icy cold smoothie
- Blend: Place all ingredients in a professional-grade blender or standard blender in the order listed and gradually increase the speed to high as you blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Enjoy: Pour in one large or two small glasses and enjoy immediately.