This tuna salad sandwich with sauerkraut packs a nutritional punch with lean protein, natural probiotics and fresh veggies. A delicious and healthy anytime lunch!
I've been craving tuna and sauerkraut lately, ever since making a Tuna Sauerkraut Salad.
I also love a good sandwich. Like one of those nice thick, fresh deli type sandwiches on crusty bread.
Solution: tuna salad sandwich with sauerkraut. So simple, but so satisfying. And this one travels well too if you want to make in advance.
Step 1: make the tuna salad
To keep things simple for quick recipe prep, I used just a few key ingredients in this tuna salad:
- Canned tuna
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Salt and Pepper
Getting everything chopped and prepped is the key to this recipe--once all of your ingredients are ready to go, it literally takes just minutes to make the tuna salad and assemble the sauerkraut sandwiches.
Step 2: assemble the sauerkraut sandwiches
The great thing about sauerkraut is that it's available in most grocery stores now, not just natural foods stores--and it is one of the healthiest pre-made grocery items you can buy. Just make sure it's the kind in the refrigerated section--not the ones on the shelf that use vinegar (there are no live probiotics in those.)
And bonus points if you already have your own homemade sauerkraut on hand. 😉
Choose whatever fresh bread you like best, and wash off some green leaf lettuce.
Assembly is super simple--bread, lettuce, tuna salad and sauerkraut. Done. Super awesome, super healthy sauerkraut sandwiches.
You might also likePrint
This delicious tuna salad and sauerkraut sandwich boasts fresh veggies, protein and probiotics. Super easy to prepare for home or to go.
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ small red bell pepper
- ¼ small red onion
- 5 oz canned tuna (I like Wild Planet’s canned tuna which is lower in mercury due to the smaller size of the fish)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bread (any kind)
- 2 leaves green leaf lettuce (or other lettuce)
- ¼ cup sauerkraut (see notes)
- Prep: Finely chop the celery, red pepper and onion, and wash the lettuce leaves; set aside. Place the tuna in a large mixing bowl and use a fork to separate into flakes.
- Mix: Add the vegetables and mayonnaise to the tuna as well as salt and pepper to taste, and mix well to incorporate.
- Assemble: Place one slice of lettuce, half the tuna salad and half the sauerkraut on each sandwich, slice in half and serve.
Look for raw sauerkraut with live cultures in the refrigerated section of the grocery store (shelf-stable sauerkraut made with vinegar doesn’t contain any live probiotics.)
Keywords: sandwich with sauerkraut, sauerkraut lunch